• Breaking News

    Monday, December 9, 2019

    ARK: Survival Evolved - You know the feeling :(

    ARK: Survival Evolved - You know the feeling :(


    You know the feeling :(

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 04:03 AM PST

    Me using my dead body for food.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 02:16 PM PST

    Could he get any brighter tho?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 02:11 AM PST

    Gotta get them tools somehow.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 09:23 PM PST

    Dude was waiting for my ass

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 08:14 PM PST

    diplo’s are not epic gamers

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 08:10 AM PST

    Argy when it sees me harbesting wood off spawn

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 04:14 AM PST

    Guess my platform keeps the critters out

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 10:11 PM PST

    On the community crafting place I built for my SE server theres an air conditioned safety shelter xD

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 04:19 AM PST

    ngl.. i havent been able to draw a snow owl since this one

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 01:00 PM PST

    Would this team be able to defeat the game broodmother? All the megatheriums have 5000-7000 health and 313-340 melee damage. Daedon has 11040 food. The difficulty level is 0.2 so Max level wild dino is 57. Sorry for shitty photo quality

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 12:14 AM PST

    Dinosaurs are awesome!

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 03:10 PM PST

    Jiggle water

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 10:50 PM PST

    My first home

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 02:31 PM PST

    Breeding mannas under water definitely has its challenges����

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 05:58 AM PST

    I wish ark was a good game

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 07:52 AM PST

    I've clocked in around 800 hours in Ark, it is my most played game on steam by a long shot. I know to some of you that 800 hours really isn't a whole lot, and doesn't grant someone more than journeyman status at best. But to me personally, it is a ridiculous amount of time to spend inside one game, and sadly I've realized that I've spent that time on a game I like in theory, but not so much in practice.

    The last few months I've spent my time playing other heavy-hitters in the survival genre, Subnautica, The Forest, and a few others. Playing these games have been great experiences, and returning to Ark after beating them really highlights it's weaknesses. Ark is simply put, incredibly messy, unbalanced and unecessarily grindy.

    Let's start with the **grind**: I think Subnautica and The Forest show, that gathering and crafting can be rewarding, without being unecessarily grindy. Even without exaggerating, I think Ark might be the grindiest game ever made. In fact, grinding very often results in even more grinding because of the upkeep. And who's idea was to implement a taming system, where it can literally take you 10+ hours of looking at a knocked down dinosaur, to tame it, and maybe one hour later it is complely possible to lose that dear dino to something as stupid as a jellyfish. And don't even get me started on blueprints... THOUSANDS of ingots to create a shotgun? really? A shotgun that isn't really all that good, and will barely get you through the hard caves anyway. Or what about this: Spending literally 100s of hours breeding, crafting saddles and leveling up dinos for boss battles, and then LOSING ALL OF IT, because you couldn't beat the boss? I don't care how you try to rationalize this, it is just shitty fucking game design. Survival games are ment to be punishing, but losing 100s of hours of progress is just too bloody much. There is no sense in how the game manages grind and punishment. Ark is so grindy, that a large percentage, maybe even the majority of the playerbase, resort to boosted rates(sometimes by A LOT) or even outright using commands to skip the grind. However, boosted rates don't really solve the problem, because at that point the game just becomes even more **messy** than it already is.

    The **mess**: Getting hundreds of berries, 5 different types, seeds and fiber from looting a bush? Why can't it be like in Subnautica where you find a plant, and loot that single plant, and that's it. Ark's mechanics are so unecessarily complicated and messy, that boosted rates just make the game even more unintuitive and awful to deal with, because the numbers were already too high for their own good. Boosted rates just make you feel like you're cheating, because the mechanics weren't good to begin with. Getting 124 wood from hitting a tree once doesn't really solve anything. Look at a game like the forest: You chop down a tree, you get 4-5 logs, and what you're able to build with those logs actually make fucking sense most of the time. There's still a grind involved, and you have to be careful of your surroundings while chopping, but at the very least it is intuitive and fun. Crafting and gathering can be simple and intuitive and still have depth.

    But Ark is also incredibly **unbalanced**: The snow cave really is a brilliant example of this. A cave the developers made so "hard" and annoying, that the vast majority of players resort to cheesing it, either by grappling hooking all the way through, building small outposts inside the cave, or even sneaking in a yuty egg and hatching it inside. All of this just makes the cave either unrewarding to get through or downright impossible to do it properly. Here's a hint, if something is so hard that you have to cheese it to beat it = nerf it. The boss battles aren't great either as I've already commented on. I wish they were made for 1 player 1 dino, and then scale with the amount of players. Having to get (and potentially lose) 20 dinos and 20 saddles instead of 1 dino and 1 saddle doesn't add any fun to the game. It is hassle to operate 20 dinos as a singleplayer or a small tribe anyways with the awful AI the game has. And last but not least...

    Ark **is not a survival game**: It's harvest moon... or stardew valley. It's more about breeding and growing potatoes than anything else. I realize these mechanics are in other survival games as well, but they aren't the main attraction. Survival games are usually more about surviving, exploring and combat. I know I am gonna annoy a lot of people here, but I wish breeding was never added to the game. I wish the game would be more about cave exploring, finding loot, taming and leveling dinos. I would in a heartbeat sacrifice 2/3 of the dino variety, if we got better combat mechanics instead. Maybe the dinos could have a simple block or dodge, or maybe even implement a pokemon like system where they had 3-4 moves, or maybe even something like dino skill trees... Who knows..

    What I really wish Ark was, is an actual survival game, about exploring and combat, with much less bloated and grindy gathering, and much more intuitive, cleaner and simpler crafting mechanics. I've found that when I'm playing other survival games I am actually having fun, where as in Ark I am just grinding hoping for potential fun.

    Ark: Potential Fun Evolved.

    submitted by /u/Melonpistol
    [link] [comments]

    Ark veterans will understand

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 06:40 PM PST

    Check out Some PvP base locations ��‍♂️

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 06:13 AM PST

    Helping a new player

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 07:31 AM PST

    So I've always been a fan of watching ark videos and taming dinosaurs . But whenever I've tried starting the game I just never know where to start and it's not very straight forward on how or what to do. If anyone can give me suggestions on what to aim for and even good settings to have set up . I'll be on console, probably playing solo , and I only have scorched earth dlc what other dlc should I get

    submitted by /u/chronicbased
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best map gameplay wise for pve?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 05:19 AM PST

    i'm returning back to ark after around a year and with all these new maps i'm not sure which one i should play.

    submitted by /u/lil-beetroot
    [link] [comments]

    Cmon gimme a smootch

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:24 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel